Earth Day has come and gone, but it’s never too late to eat consciously. To mark the occasion this week, surfer-environmentalist-sailor-vegan Liz Clark posted some easy tips on how to eat for the earth on her blog Swell Voyage. Take a peak at her suggestions and read the full post here.
- Grow your own! Growing a veggie garden and planting edible plants in your yard is not only the best way to ensure that your food is chemical-free and charged with love, but you also reap the benefits of re-connecting with your food and gaining respect for the growing process. You automatically reduce your carbon footprint and might save yourself some cash, too! Veggie Garden Cheat Sheet, How to Build a Permaculture Vegetable Garden, Starting Your Permaculture Garden
- Support small-scale, organic farms and alternative methods to corporate agriculture! Corporate farms do not consider the health of their workers, consumers, the ground water, the native plants and animals, and general public safety when they routinely spray highly toxic chemicals on our food and soil. UN: Eco Farming Feeds the World, Is Organic Farming the Key to Solving Hunger? And Climate Change?, Corporate Power in Agriculture
- Eat less processed food! Various food dyes, Olestra brominated vegetable oil, potassium bromate, Azodicarbonamide, BHA, BHT, rBGH, rBST and arsenic are banned in other countries but still legal in US foods! 9 Ways the Processed Foods Are Slowly Killing People, Dirty Secrets of the Food Processing Industry
- Boycott GMO-containing foods and companies!!! Despite that it is still unclear as to whether or not ‘genetically modified’ foods are safe for human consumption over time, Monsanto and the other ‘big 6’ biotech corporations–BASF, Bayer, Dow Chemicals, Dupont, and Syngenta–control nearly every aspect of our food system. Documentary: ‘The World According to Monsanto’ , Surf Legend Kelly Slater Attacks GMOs and Biotech Giants, Surfing for Change’s Latest film: Pro Surfers vs GMOs by fellow Patagonia Ambassador Kyle Thiermann
- When/if eating seafood, please choose wisely… Seafood Watch Iphone App, FAQs for Seafood Watch App, EDF Seafood Selector, Tackling Overfishing on Many Fronts, National Geographic: Overfishing
- When dining out, support restaurants that source their food from local, conscious suppliers!
Read the full post on Eating for Earth here.