Continuing our occasional content partnership with The Dirtbag Darling, she’s back with a delicious recipe perfect for car camping and #vanlifers.
Car Camping Cinnamon French Toast Bagel Recipe
Car camping can quickly turn your regular camping menu into a feast of gourmet proportions—when access to a cooler and the too-heavy-to-carry-anywhere camp stove allows you to get a little more creative with your cooking. Get outta here, sardine can.
Take breakfast for example—the first meal of the backpacking day usually consists of an energy bar or lightweight oatmeal packs. But if your base is the car instead of the hike-in campsite, you can whip up breakfast sandwiches, scrambled eggs and even cold cereal with fruit.
But it can still be hard to know where to start. So here’s a camp stove breakfast recipe for chilly pre-surf or pre-hike mornings when you have the luxury of time, to kick back, relax, and enjoy the taste of creativity (and the chance to use up those stale bagels).
Bagels (preferably cinnamon raison)
*Tip: Store spices and sugars in used Tic-Tac mint containers to save space
Camp stove and fuel
Frying pan with lid (or tin foil)
1. The amount of bagels and eggs you’ll use depends on the size of your party—a good rule of thumb is to use two eggs for every bagel. Whip eggs, cinnamon and sugar until well blended in a bowl. The amount of cinnamon and sugar you use is based on personal taste.
2. Cut bagels in half and lay the bagel halves in the egg mixture, sliced side down. Allow the bagel to soak in the egg mixture for a few minutes.
3. Light your camp stove and spread a small slice of butter on the frying pan. Heat the pan over the flame until hot.
4. Lay the bagel halves, sliced side down, the pan until the sliced side gets crispy. Flip over until the other side of the bagels are warm.
5. Sprinkle with more cinnamon and sugar to taste.
6. Devour and be on your way.
Read more at DirtbagDarling.com