It’s late March 2020 in sunny San Diego, California and Covid-19 is spreading throughout the United States. Many of us are staying in to flatten the curve. Growing your own veggies from home could potentially lower your exposure, resulting in fewer trips when going to the grocery store.
What you’ll need:
- Egg Carton with Egg Shells or Conventional Seed Starter or this one
- Reuse Soil from your garden or Potting Soil w/ Vermiculture
- Non GMO Seeds of your choice. We like these ones:
- Old plastic water bottle for DIY Terrarium (Optional)
- A place to plant your future food ~
Step 1: Make or locate a Seed starter, this could be a DIY Eggshells + Egg carton or a conventional one. Egg’s are nature’s perfect seed starters. Their shells deter pests, lessen soil shock, and their calcium is beneficial to the soil.
Step 2: Heat the Soil to 160 degrees F to kill any weeds, pests or disease. For an hour, let your tap water sit out in an open container (mason jar is what we use) while off-gassing in the sun. Tap water contains chemicals which will accumulate in the plants.
Step 4: Mix the water and soil together in a mason jar, then place a small handful of soil in each seed starter. Make sure the soil is moist and fluffy not compacted.
Step 5: Plant the seeds in the seed starter, keep soil moist at all times. Use the seed packet to determine the depth of seed planting.
Step 6: You can create a terrarium out of an old plastic water bottle by cutting it in half and placing the future plants in it. This allows the plants to recycle water without having to re-water it.
Step 7: Keep them in the sun during the day, and inside at night to protect from the cold.
Step 8: Once sprouted, cut the bottoms off each starter and pick to a happy home on your landscape.
Step 9: With proper maintenance you’ll be enjoying your food within a few weeks. Watch the video for more visuals and details. Happy Gardening!
- Seed Starter or Fiber Soil Direct Seed Starter
- Organic Garden Greens Seeds (Red Leaf Lettuce, Arugula, Paris Isle Cos Romaine, Ruby Red Swiss Chard, Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce, Little Gem Romaine, Lacinato Kale, Bloomsdale Spinach)
- Herb Seeds (Basil, Parsley, Dill, Cilantro, Rosemary, Mint, Thyme, Oregano, Marjoram, Tarragon, Chives, Sage & More)
- Organic Heirloom Vegetables Seeds (40+ Seeds Variety Pack)
- Soil – Organic Seed Starting Soil Mix
- Mason Jar – For offgassing
- Sprinkler Hose
- Gardening Tools